DANCE AGAIN

 

DANCE AGAIN

 

When I was a child, I would dance

I'd dance every time I had the chance

I did not care who would see me

It was me I was not afraid to be

I'd dance to Gospel, country, reggae or hip hop

Disco, Electronic, Latin, or bebop

I dance anywhere, it really didn't matter

Until my self-esteem, my peers did shatter

They would criticize, laugh, and joke

My confidence in me now was broke

I'd hear the music and would want to move

But I would hear their laughs and ignore the groove

There was a time I would dance and not care

But now dance in public I wouldn't dare

I noticed my life was not the same

Dull, boring, and full of shame

I would try to return to the mind of a child

But it just seemed too weird, crazy and wild

But today as I sit here and wonder

Why did I allow them to still my thunder?

I have lost me in the midst of my peers

They have installed in me unwanted fears

With a renewed mind I have decided to recover

The original me, this music lover

You can criticize, laugh, and even joke

But at least now the real me is woke

So, I will dance again and won't give a yam

And if you have a problem with it you can scram

You can speak your wisecracks, you can even shade

But I will no longer allow you to make me afraid

Afraid of being the one and only me

The me I am no longer afraid to be

When I was a child, I would dance

I'd dance every time I had the chance

And I am happy that I have restored the child in me

My life is now the best it can be, it is free

 

Casey S Bell

 

authorcaseybell.com

caseysamuelbell@gmail.com

casey@caseysamuelbell.com

(609) 879-9631

PO Box 5231, Old Bridge, NJ 08857

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exclusive Interview with Casey Bell

To College or Not to College. Pt 1